Thursday, October 25, 2007

What HAPPENED to Throwdown?


For a band that came screaming out of Orange Counties hardcore scene several years back, Throwdown has fallen far away from it's tree. When you would go to a Throwdown show two years ago, you'd expect everything that you normally would from a hardcore show. Smaller venue, tight crowd, intense bread downs with lots of people dancing. (For those that don't know what hardcore dancing is, it consists of lots of kicks, punches, cart wheels, flips, and hand plants). Now, you go to a show and you see all these wannabe goth kids dressed up like they're ready for a Marilyn Manson show. Throwdown used to stand for the Hardcore straight edge scene. Consisting of kids ready to fight, meet up with their brothers, family, and crew and stay off drugs and alcohol (straight edge) in order to be ready to protect yourselves and your friends by being strong and not abusing your bodies.
Throwdown still consists of these morals, working out four hours a day seven days a week, and being clean for almost ten years. However, they now sound like a Pantera cover band just, not good. Don't get me wrong, I love the greats Pantera as much as the next guy but if I want to listen to Pantera, I'll do just that.
Hardcore is supposed to be about improving yourself and looking at life optimistically. It's forgiving people and staying close to your friends. It's also a lot about fighting but respecting those you are fighting at the same time. It's a very gentle balance that has a line that's easily crossed. When you stand for what's right, respect, discipline and determination, you're going to have fans that do the same.
Sadly, Throwdown's following is not quite the same. They may have more fans that now don't understand that balance and go to a show to hurt as many people as they can because of what they stand for now.
I know that I come off judgemental and conceited I just am very frusturated for they used to be one of my favorite bands. I will forever love their old stuff and rememeber how it has influenced hardcore and agressive music in general.
Goodbye Throwdown.


2003 Show

13 comments:

Lori said...

Jesse,

Great informaiton. I had no idea bands like this were out there. I like that bands out there stand for respect, discipline, determination. I like that you picked a topic that wasn't typical and interesting to a reader! Creative idea. Lori

Unknown said...

I remember when we saw them at Ozzfest 2004. Their set was so intense, and you could tell by watching them how much their ideals meant to them. I'm sorry to hear that they've changed, but I'm glad you have the ability recognize it and not be swayed by it. Stay strong, cousin.

-Kate

Joshua said...

Hey Burdman,
Love the post. I've never been in a pit, but it's always enticed me. I love the line "It's also a lot about fighting but respecting those you are fighting at the same time" because I think a lot of people don't understand fighting (boxing, mma), and it can be more about hurting someone, much much more. Especially for a man, we're warriors it's how God made us.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your analysis of Throwdown, and I enjoyed reading about it very much! You're the man, keep em comin!

Anonymous said...

WHAT?!

This is my all-time favorite hardcore band, man, so don't be raggin' on my boys. When Keith and Javier put this group together back in '97, hardcore had seen better days... you KNOW it's true -they SAVED hardcore, man, that's what people don't remember. And I was there in 2002 when Dave Peters did the vocals for Barney when Barney couldn't finish due to exhaustion. That was a freaking religious experience, man, it was that intense.

And now you go putting them in a class with a Pantera cover band when they're like, gods, man, like freaking Mt. Olympus GODS, man. And so what if some of their new goth groupies don't get them and just come to pound other people? Throwdown can't help it if they got some skankin' brats who follow them along with us True Believers. And when I saw them earlier this year at at las Cruces NM during the Warped Tour, it was like they'd never been away.

So keep the faith: Throwdown. Forever. Together. United.
Outrageous.

GB

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better, GB. Profound. All I would add is that it should be Throwdown-Fest. Sorry Ozzie.
- big bird

tom said...

All i know is that with a band name like hardcore you had best keep to the code! whether or not you can change you style with in that following is subject to debate. I imagine that any band has to go through times where change is neccesary, as the members grow and desire to change thier expression of that growth as artists, and people. I say embrace the change. (notice i dint use "man" once in this, well said gb with out som amny "mans")

Sam Kerrigan said...

Jesse,

I knew nothing about this before I read your blog, seems pretty intense. Reminded me a bit of the movie green street hooligans. You should check it out if you haven't already seen it.


-Sam

Anonymous said...

Hey, man, that's just my style, man. Don't be harshin' on my man, man.
GB

Noelle said...

Hey Jesse,
I like your blog because it is about a kind of music that is totally new to me. It was set up really nicely, it seems so professional! You have obviously written about a controversial topic; I love how you have so many comments from people not just in our class!
Noelle

Anonymous said...

its a hardcore band jesse, we all know where the hardcore scene is unfortunately going...mainstream. its a newer type of music, and is just in the birthing process and now is maturing so therefore when a band such as throwdown as been out for so long, they will attract a bigger crowd and get the hellions who just want to cause chaos.

Jesse said...

If that's their decision, yes. You still have the majority of hardcore bands that never went that route because of their own doing. Bands like Agnostic Front, All Out War, Sick of it All and Blood for Blood have been around forever and yet they seem to stay in the hardcore scene. It's not about getting bigger, it's about making more money.

Anonymous said...

touche